Saturday, June 19, 2010

Travco at Henry's Diesel



I was up in Massachusetts and decided to take a side trip for a visit to see the Travco at Henry's Diesel, where they are doing the mechanical work.



Had the pleasure to meet Stephanie, who has been very helpful in coordinating the move to Henry's.



Also, had the pleasure to meet Henry. He was kind enough to explain what he has done and what he is going to do to the Travco. Henry said overall, considering its age, the Travco is in excellent shape. I wish I was more knowledgeable about mechanics, but unfortunately, I know next to nothing about engines, brakes, transmission.........etc.



Henry said the brakes needed new brake lines and new wheel cylinders. The brakes, he said, are as new.



The engine needs new push rods, the old ones were bent.



Henry showed me this, said it needed to be replaced, the seals were shot:



The water pump needs to be replaced. Henry said it was in a very difficult spot to work on. Since there is a small hole in the radiator, Henry is going to pull it and have it repaired making getting to the water pump that much easier. They took off the front enclosure.



The wheels are the infamous suicide rims/widowmakers. The tires, Henry said, are in good condition with no rot, the rims, no rust. I have to make a decision, whether to buy new aluminum rims and new tires or wait until later when I near the end of my renovation. Though I am not going to do a lot of travel I will need to drive the Travco around getting from shop to shop, having things repaired/renovated.



I was really pleased to see the Travco being well taking care of. I have complete confidence in Henry and his team to get the job done perfectly. I was quite lucky to find them. If you ever need your Travco, motorhome or truck serviced, I do not think you could be in better hands. Henry said, "When I am finished you will be safe to drive the Travco anywhere." I believe him.





Besides the above, here are a few other things Henry's Diesel will be taking care of:
-replacing all hoses and belts
- complete tune-up
- replace all fuel, gas and oil filters
- transmission- new fluid, filter & clean the screen
- probably much, much more that I can't think of, but will fill you in as time goes by

3 comments:

  1. I am curious to know if there is an documented case of a TRAVCO being fitted with a DIESEL engine? I'm thinking that would be a real cool conversion, it could also run on veg oil to supplement the petrol based fuel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there was a Travco that was re-fitted with a diesel. In fact, it was for sale on ebay a few months ago. Here is a Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo11DG1nuGk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have swapped everything from an 2004 dodge truck into my 1977 270 TRAVCO including gauges, steering column,AC, all computers etc
    Mike sc4400@suddenlink.net

    ReplyDelete