Friday, May 28, 2010

my "new" travco

Not sure how it happened, but somehow a couple of months ago I came across a Travco on ebay and fell in love. I started doing some research finding Travco websites and blogs. I had to have one! One day I came across an ad for one on a Travco site. It said:

"Hello. I fell in love with a 1969 Travco motor home that I saw in a used car lot. It had originally been garaged for 20 years by it's previous owner. I impulsively bought it telling myself it was going to be my retirement home. However, I was not really near retirement. So it has been sitting in my yard now for three years. I feel terrible about the neglect and I just want to get it a good home with someone that will care for it. It is so "60's. Was like a time machine for me. Has 51,000 miles on it and had been very well taken care of. Definitely needs new tires. It is white with a green stripe. If anyone is interested in it I will provide pictures. I live in Mass. Hope I can find it a new home."

So, I replied for more info and started an email dialogue with the owner. Then I decided to take a look and my friend Toni and I took a trip to Massachusetts. As soon as I saw her I knew she had to be mine.



Well, the journey begins! I left her (need to find a name) in Massachusetts waiting for a mechanic to take a look see. I need to drive it about 100 miles and hopefully I can get it road worthy there. Stay tuned for the latest.

6 comments:

  1. Many wishes for a long and fun filled career on the road with your Travco! This camper just screams Michael Cody! Have at it.
    All the best.
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet ride.. Some might even call it a "Babe Magnet" Congratulations on the new Mike Mobile. your buddy Walter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe Caneen in Stafford SpringsJune 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM

    Hi Mike,
    I have a similar story ... found mine in Stafford Springs CT ('73 Mahal 270 -- belongs to an old friend 5 miles from my house).
    No start, no brakes, filthy ... the usual story .. plan to start the renovation and get her home for painting. Good luck with your adventure!
    Where is 'home base' for you?

    Joe in CT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! We just did the same thing. Check us out at www.healthycamper.blogspot.com. Ours finally got the name Oz. It's green just like yours on the inside. We are diligently working on him. After woning him since Mid April. We finally campled one night and this weekend (june 11) we will get our first weekend in. I can't wait!!! Please follow my blog. I am not a good writer, but am trying to do better...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jinkys gang, it looks like we've got a new mystery machine on our hands. Like it's even got shagadelic carpet scoob. Look for Turnpike Mike and his pack of meddling dogs to come to a neighborhood near you.

    ...That thing is going to be awesome Mike! Have fun with it.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ijust wanted to make a comment- add to your blog. Good job. Let her roll. Charlene

    ReplyDelete